Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Always a blog reader, never a blogger

So I just had this great blog that just vanished into space. That's like my life. Trust technology and it bites me in the butt. I hate you, technology. Well, not really. It's love and hate. Love you when you're good, hate you when you're bad. Kind of like Christians. Love you when you're doing things like Jesus, hate you when you're doing things like Christians.

I would love to say that I prefer non-Christians to Christians, but I have to be honest, I don't know many non-Christians. But I always have this dream that they're cool and loving and funny and hip and they like me. Why don't I think of Christians in this way? I'm a pastor for crying out loud, they have to like me, right? Well not really. I find Christians are pretty good at not liking anyone they find a reason not to like. Not all Christians. I don't mean to lump us all together, but yeah, a lot of us. I guess I would like us to, I don't know, love our neighbors like Jesus calls us to do. Neighbors like those with alternative lifestyles, those that are not quite like us. Rich, poor, nice, mean, etc. Let's start loving people, then let this whole issue of holiness work itself out in us in love.

I have to admit I fall into that bracket of Christians who at like Christians rather than Jesus sometimes. I'm still figuring out what that means, to be like Jesus. I thought I had it figured out a while ago, but I'm realizing I didn't have the first clue. I'm finding Jesus to be much more focused on the world around him and me than I used to be. I used to think Jesus was really concerned about me and certain characteristics about me. What I'm finding out Jesus is much more concerned about the world than just me. Praise God I'm a part of the world. But the truth is Jesus was not some narcisitic self-centered egoist who focused on his own piety. In a world obsessed with piety, Jesus touched the unclean, healed the lame, focused on the outcast, not Himself. Kind of shatters my wants to be angry at those that don't do it the way I want them to live their lives. I hope someday to find the joy of not giving a crap about how others act and loving them no matter what. Here's hoping that I end up being like Jesus, and we all end up being like Jesus, and the rest fades away.

No comments: