Thursday, June 14, 2007

Micah update and personal update

I apologize for not updating lately. I have begun to realize how myopic your life can be when you've got a sick child, plus have a lot of other stuff going on.

A quick update on Micah: he will be having surgery at 8:00 am July 3rd at Riley Hospital. This surgery will have two parts, inserting the G-tube and removing adenoids and tonsils. Two separate issues, one surgery. It should take about an hour or so, we hope. In the meantime, we've seen incredible strides in his motor skills and eating lately. His OT said, "You must have a lot of people praying for you because I've never seen a child respond this quickly to therapy." We do believe that God has been gracious to us, and for that we have no reason why, only thanks to God.

On a personal note I was ordained as a full elder in the United Methodist Church a couple of weeks ago. I found myself thinking about humility and leadership in this context. The term "servant leader" gets thrown around a lot about pastors. And the more I think about this designation, the more I realize how much I have to grow as a pastor and person. I don't mind being a servant, but often I can become a doormat. I don't mind being a leader, but sometime I can be pushy and aggressive. My prayer is that I will learn to be a servant leader, developing others in the mission of God. I think I have a long way to go, but would love to hear from some of you and what you're learning about this aspect of ministry.

Please keep praying for Micah. We're going to have a feeding study next week to help us see if anything has changed in his swallow as we've seen him get stronger lately. We'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your ordination, Jared. Micah will continue to be in my prayers.